Knee strengthening is important to help keep your knee joints healthy and stable. There are several exercises that can help strengthen the area, and relieve discomfort. Many of them can be done without needing to go to a gym. Here are some of the best knee strengthening exercises that you can do at home:
How To Strengthen Your Knees
- Lie flat on your back or sit up straight. Your knee and legs should be straight, as well.
- Tighten the quads (the muscles on the front of your thigh) by slowly pushing your knee down. You will feel the clenching on your thigh muscles.
- Hold this position for three seconds, before going back to the start position.
- Repeat up to 20 repetitions, every three to four hours.
Straight knee raise
- Lie flat on your back, with one of your leg straight and the other bent.
- Pull your toes inwards, and clench the muscle on the front of your thigh to lock your knee.
- Lift the foot up to six inches high, and hold this for three to five seconds before slowly lowering your leg down.
- Your knee should remain straight the entire time.
- Repeat 20 times, twice daily.
- Stand up straight, and grab something stable, such as a table or a chair.
- Lift your foot as far as possible towards your glutes. You knee will bend during the movement.
- Hold the position for up to five seconds, and then go back to the starting position.
- Repeat this 25 times, twice daily.
- Sit on a chair, and place your heel against the furniture’s leg. Your feet should be firm on the floor.
- Press the heel backwards into the chair’s leg, so you will feel the back of your thigh clenching. Hold this for five seconds.
- Do this for 20 times, twice daily.
- Sit up or lie down
- Clench your glutes and hold for three seconds
- Repeat 20 times, every three to four hours
- Stand with your feet apart. Hold onto something for balance, if necessary.
- Lift your heels as high as you can. Hold for three to five seconds, and then lower yourself down.
- Repeat 30 times, twice daily
- Stand near a chair or wall for balance
- Slowly lift one leg up and hold the position for as long as you can. Keep the other leg stable as you perform the movement.
- Do this five minutes, twice daily.